Saturday 1 August 2009

Why Buy Electric Patio Heaters Over Propane Patio Heaters

When researching patio heaters I found out that electric patio heaters offer a few unique advantages over gas fueled heaters. One benefit is that they do not produce any emissions. This allows the heaters to be useful indoors or in enclosed areas where propane or gas heaters cannot be used. Another benefit is that clearances for mounting electric heaters are much less than requirements for gas heaters. Now this might not seem very important, but if you have an area where you have limited overhead space an electric patio heaters may be the only option that will work for you.


How do electric patio heaters work?

The simplest explanation I found for how electric patio heaters operate is that they use radiant heat, like the sun, to warm objects and people and not the air around them. Some propane patio heaters work by heating up the air around people and since hot air rises a lot of heat is lost to the atmosphere. Therefore, with electric or radiant heaters all the heat is directed to the people or objects that need to be warmed.


Another benefit of this type of heater is that because they do not burn any fuel to produce warmth, they do not release any emissions into the air. This is the reason why electric patio heaters can be used in enclosed areas such as porches or even garages and warehouses.


It is also beneficial to use electric heaters when you do not have enough clearance space to use a propane or gas heater. I was looking for a heater for my balcony and because I have low ceilings I could not use a propane heater and have enough clearance space to operate it safely. I was very happy to find out that there were options for me, and I am very happy with the results. Not that I have a heater I am able to use my balcony for many more weeks than I have been able to in the past.


A really important fact is that this heater has given me more usable living space, not just in the warm summer months, but well into fall and winter. It is so nice for my guests to be able to step outside and enjoy some fresh air without being cold.